The Daily Art- Facing Truth

oil painting by Heather BRown Truman
‘Insights: Facing Truth’
Oils
24″ X 30″ X 2″
Gallery Wrapped sides, no staples, extra thick box style canvas/ready to hang
Here is the quote that inspired the work:

“You never find yourself until you face the truth.”

Pearl Bailey (1918 – 1990)
This work started out as a lark. I really did just start painting and this is what happened. These three heads with their long faces, rich full lips, and expressive eyes reminded me of African Tribal masks, like what the Shamans would have worn. (which I have always had a fascination with, tribal masks of all types, that is) They appeared like magic in my brain pan, so I just went with it.
They are painted in very rich earth tones and warm reds, they will make a dramatic statement where ever they are placed. This is the first in the “faces” series (you can see the rest of the series at my web site HERE in the paintings gallery).
I have enjoyed working in this abstract series, the faces have all shown me, taught me, that I can not hide from my real self.
I am not a rule follower, I am a rule maker.
(for myself, I’m not trying to take over the world here ya know…well maybe just a little) 🙂
At the time this series was started
 (which I admit I didn’t know was going to turn into a series)
I just wanted to play with a style of painting faces that was not realism, and not cubism, and was not entirely abstract either.
I think I ended up on the abstract side of the street anyway, but it’s in my own style and that’s what I was after in the first place.
These heads… well what can I say? You can see they have compassion, information, understanding and something to say.
What do they say to you?
Buying art from living artists has been shown to
increase the joy quotient in peoples lives.
Buy some art today.

1. Shoshana Rose
    February 17, 2008

Hello Heather~

Love your new wordpress blog but why is everyone moving?!

Please vote in my polls on THE ARTisT iN YOU and tell me if you think I should follow suit and either move my blogger blog to wordpress, or merge it with my Diary of a Dancer on WordPress.

Also if you would be so kind (and I’ve asked Kris Cahill of ART & CLAIRVOYANCE this same question) please tell me if you can easily navigate the new wordpress theme I am using on my Diary of a Dancer blog. I used to use this same layout that you and Kris are using, but one of my readers (& biggest fans/supporters) told me it was ‘blah’, so I chose a new one. 🙂

Your art is truly inspiring, btw, and so too, your bit of history you shared in your last comment. 🙂

So happy to have you as my new friend!

MUAH!
    xoxox

shoshi

2. Kris Cahill
    February 17, 2008

Hi Heather,
    Nice work here, I love the deep rich earthy tones. I love it when the ideas flow in like that. It’s great that you go with it, trusting what comes.

I know an easy way to get good photos and will be happy to share if you want.

February 17, 2008

Shoshana Rose, Thank you. And yes I will check out your blog and let you know what I think. The reason that I moved my blog was because I when I went to my blog and let it load it froze my computer up. I thought it was my computer, then others started letting me know it was happening to them as well. I then started noticing that all the blogs that I go to that are hosted on blogger that have a lot of stuff on them, they would freeze up and I couldn’t see them…pain in the arse! So my move was for a more stable platform, and ease of communication. It made good business sense. Just FYI, your blogger blog does freeze my computer up if I let it run, gotta get in and get out in blogger for me at least.

Kris, please share anything you know about getting a good picture!!! I know it is one of the big things holding my work back right now…when I get lucky and get a good picture those works sell right away. Others struggle, because I am all thumbs with the camera. I have impared vision in my right eye and that also makes it hard to get a good shot when I am trying to figure out is it me? or is that blurry? Is that a good representation overall? Argh! 🙂 I know that several of us out here are working on this issue, so yes please share! *rubbing hands in anticpation*
    Thanks for the kind words about the work. I always just go with it, it’s the only way it ever works for me, then I find little things that I like, and play some more, then I find something else that is shiny and new and I’m all…Oooooh look at that…you know how it is. 🙂 If I do three in a row I know I have at least a small series started. If I get to five, then I create a world for them. When I get to 8 I know it’s love.

4. quotesqueen
    February 19, 2008

This is very cool! I love your quotes, too, of course! 🙂
    I’ve added you to my blogroll…

5. Vikki North
    July 1, 2008

I love their droppy eyelids and the way they look up under them. Reminds of someone called Heather.
    Vikki

6. beautifuldreamer
    July 7, 2008

Oh, what a beautiful work of art! I absolutely love this.

July 7, 2008

Hey Beauty! Have not seen you for awhile, thanks for the kind words and it’s just nice to hear from you again. 🙂

Oh, Vikki you know me too well. *Huge Grins*

Perfect for a stay IN date night, The Simplicity Collection, a 3D Virtual Art Gallery (FREE) Get comfortable and enjoy the show

The Simplicity Collection is our newest body of work and we are so excited to share it with you.

10 large format, abstract landscapes, done in oils.

30 Original poems

10 creation videos (super fun)

Over an hour of entertainment!

We miss seeing everyone in person and hope you and your families are staying safe and healthy.

We put together this virtual gallery so that everyone can see the works and enjoy the show from the safest place on earth right now, our couches.

We love you and are so grateful for your support and love. Stay safe and enjoy the show.

Your friends in the arts,

Heather & Bill Alley