Daily Art- New Work- The Blue Pair

oil painting by Heather Brown Truman

by Heather Brown Truman

by Heather Brown Truman

The Blue Pair

24″ x 18″ x 2″

Oils

Back stapled, needs no frame, finished sides

Here is the quote for this work:

“I’m Nobody! Who are you? Are you – Nobody – Too? Then there’s a pair of us? Don’t tell! they’d advertise – you know!”

Emily Dickinson (1830 – 1886)
Hello all,
this is my newest work and it’s taken more time because of my work schedule than I thought it would. Funny little blue footed birds, they look like they are having a great time don’t they? I have not painted these birds before so they go into the “Things I’ve Never Done Before” section of my work. They were fun to paint and I hope that shows through.
I have been working hard on re-writing my artist statement, and artist bio. If anyone feels like giving me a review of my new statement and Bio, then you can see it HERE.
You know writing those is hard!!! It’s very important that they be done and done right for every artist. It’s just that I have been putting it off for a year…It took me three days to get the statement to sound and feel right, but I’m still not sure if it is too long still. If you have the time check it out, let me know what you think. I am sick of reading them both.
I’ve got to run, more work to do! This work will be on the website as soon as I finish building a web page for it, it’ll be in the paintings gallery, at the bottom of the page.
Hope all is well in all your worlds,

1. cynthia
    June 12, 2008

I love their faces – fantastic new work!! I’ll take a look at your statement, but the truth is I really don’t like A.S. It’s my own bias.

2. Cedar Lee
    June 12, 2008

I love the character of these guys! Nice work.

Your artist statement is good, but I agree that it may be a little too long. (Not because I think so, but because I’ve heard that artist statements are supposed to be short and sweet, like one paragraph.)

One thing you could do is have 2 versions, long and short. You could put the short one on your website where people have short attention spans, and keep the long one to provide for anyone who requests it. Usually the only time anyone wants a long artist statement is if they’re printing an article or something and need lots of stuff to work with.

As for what to cut, I can’t help you with that part…it is just as hard for me. It took me forever to write mine!!!

3. Kalliope Amorphous
    June 13, 2008

You know I love all of your work, but this one definitely ranks among my favorites. The colors are fantastic, and the character of these birds has a certain surreal quality that I gravitate toward in art.

I looked at your statement and bio and couldn’t come up with any advice. I think your statement really reflects your artistic process and how you arrived at it-something a good artist statement should do. People have varying ideas on the length. Some feel a statement should express in as many words as you need. Others feel brief is better. I usually amend my statements length based on who or what I am sending to.

I must have revised my artist statement 100 times…and will probably revise it 500 more times!

Have a nice weekend!

4. Ivan Chan
    June 13, 2008

Love these birds!!

Take care,

I.

5. gypsy-heart
    June 16, 2008

The “fun” does show Heather. I love their faces, and I agree with others the colors are yummy!

I took a quick glance of your statement, bio, etc. I agree with Kalliope. It fits your personality and style, and the length depends on the situation.

I would rather paint a new series than write a new statement. :O You are working the business end of this, and they are necessary!

Personally, I do think short is better..people are fickle and impatient. I have to admit I am too!

Good and creative energies to you!

6. San
    June 17, 2008

A coupla blue-footed nobodies–love the dead-on stare of the right one, the beak-in-the-air aloofness of the left one. They’re kind of smug and likable at once. And that somber background suits them.

7. Pete Taboada
    June 23, 2008

I love the way you work the blues.