The Daily Art- The New Works

Close up new work

New work #2, close up

Below the full painting

She is landing/touching down in a summer field of poppies, the flowers are great, I love them… I wish they showed up better in these pictures because they are vibrant and really fun.

Full painting new work

Close up of new work

new work #1 Close Up

Below the full painting, she’s standing in summer grass…I painted it with those flat square blocks of overlaying colors…can’t really see it in detail here, but it looks really nice in real life, lots of texture.

New work

Here they are the two new works I said I wasn’t going to post pictures of until they were done… *grins* So here they are

the new smash up works. They are unfinished and un-titled. I don’t know if I even like them, or if they have gone off into a “cute” zone…argh! I am just going to live with them a little longer, keep working on them and see what happens.

What do you all think?

Here is the quote that I keep coming back to every time I think I want to quit this idea:

“We must have courage to bet on our ideas, to take the calculated risk, and to act.”

So, have I gone off the deep end here?
What do you all think of the new works, what do you like, what do you not like?
Do you think (goddess forbid) that they are “cute”? Beacuse Lord Almighty I don’t want that.
Let me hear from you all,
have a great day,
Support living artists
but some art today
PS. I can eat today, If feel a little better and want to thank everyone for their kind words and emails over the last couple of days, it was uber nice of you all. Thanks!

1. bluejude
    February 28, 2008

I don’t think it’s cute at all. It still has that BadKitty style. Very cool. I almost feel like there should be something in the sky, but not too much as to distract from the foreground. Yes, sit with them a while and let them speak to you. And by all means…GO EAT! lol Happy Thursday!

February 28, 2008

Thanks Blue, you are such a good and wise friend. 🙂

3. Kalliope Amorphous
    February 28, 2008

I love both of them. The blue and magenta hues in the first one are especially my favorite. I absolutely love the fact that you chose not to give them facial features….because it really leaves a space for the mind to project. Very interesting and powerful effect

4. Kris Cahill
    February 28, 2008

Hi Heather,
    I’m glad you’re felling better today. I can tell by your post! 🙂

I don’t think this or any other of your work is “cute”. It has a style, your style. The Butterfly Woman looks like she is visiting here from someplace else. It’s actually quite cinematic, and certainly not a Disney film! It has a magic realism quality about it.

I know what you mean about wanting to live with the piece before continuing to paint. That helps me so much too.

Thanks for your very helpful and kind feedback on my blog post from yesterday. I have come to the conclusion to let it go too, but sometimes I will get in people’s faces just because I am good at it, and it pleases me to do so. (BIG grins!)

February 28, 2008

Kalliope: thank you for your feedback, I sure appreciate it. The face-less thing is for just that porpuse, it’s great that you got that and put it into simple words…that’s what I’ve been trying to say…yeah what she said! *grins*

Kris: Yup, the living with it part is where I tend to get stuck. I find that if I am taking too much time looking and thinking the whole thing stops being fun. It becomes work, and well…we all know how BAD! Kitty feels about work and rules. Blech!
    I’m working on a compromise between the two worlds, the one of thinking and the one of doing. I’ll let you know how that works out…*sigh*

6. San
    March 2, 2008

Heather, for some reason I’m not quite as attracted to the winged choir women as I am to the earlier ones in the series. Then again, maybe you’ve biased me by saying that you are unsure about them. Cute? NO! The facelessness prevents cuteness, as do the rich colors. I know what’s bothering me. The simplicity of the other ones appeals to me very, very much, the way they’re stripped down to essentials. Maybe it’s the detailed quality of the wings that bothers me.

I say this only because you asked. BUT I am a firm believer in letting paintings take over a bit. You say these aren’t done. Let them take the lead. If they’re saying “more detail, Heather, more particularity,” then do their bidding. What they (the paintings) have to tell you is SO much more important than any take I’m having, based on a picture on the web, my mental space at this given moment, etc. etc. etc.

From a selling standpoint, it’s possible that more detail will create more sales. I don’t know. Have the other choir pieces been selling? I’ve lost track, having been gone. And my mind is still at least halfway gone. Vacationing.

March 2, 2008

San, thank you for taking the time to really look at these…I value your input so much. Just this morning I was thinking the same exact thing. The Choir Series is almost Sold out, they have gone as fast as I painted them, I have 2 of 9 left at this time. They have attracted a lot of attention and I think that is why. Simplicity. Line that is dedicated to detail, but with no real details involved. Thanks again San, you really helped put into the light that I already knew was the right one. I can’t bring myself to work with them anymore…I know what that means…turn around and look again. There is merit in the act of not knowing, a blessed imperfection that will only serve to spotlight those things that make the creative juice flow. yeah baby…that’s it. 🙂

8. gypsy-heart
    March 2, 2008

I love your facepess winged women!

I am glad you are feeling better..guess what I am getting a cold now. :O